Tuesday 26 August 2014

Scientific outreach plans

I recently decided what I want to do after my PhD, which is a career in outreach/science communication. There are so many things you can do within this. You can talk to the public about science, write for a magazine, newspaper or website, create media to explain science like podcasts of videos, etc. I'm trying to check out as many of these areas as possible to get experience and find out what kind of things I like. This has basically resulted in me trying to do so many things at the moment!

Alongside this blog and my Youtube channel, which are ongoing projects, I'm getting involved with a few other outreach things. First, I'm giving a science talk in a months time in Bristol on 'What is it like to fall in to a black hole'. I'm enjoying coming up with ideas for this as it's to the public, so I can explain it at a really beginner level without having to get in to any horrible maths. All the fun without any of the complications. I'm also trying to come up with a project that I hope to apply for funding for via the UK government. They have a scheme to fund projects that communicate what the UK space industry does to the public. I'm planning to make a sort of card game that teaches people what they do as well as teaches them about different areas of astrophysics. I have a couple of months before the deadline for this, so lots of time to think about it.


Other than that I have a few little ideas in my head, so I have lots of things to take up my spare time. I have a fun couple of months ahead I believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment