Monday 6 January 2014

What are the chances?

Today I found two cases of nearly unbelievable chance. By trying to avoid starting work for another couple of minutes I came across this fact. In 1864/5, Robert Lincoln, Abraham Lincolns son, was at a train station on the platform waiting for his train. The hustle and bustle of passenger on the platform accidentally knocked him down on to the train tracks.but before any harm could come to him a stranger trapped his collar and pulled him up back on to the platform. The strange part comes in when the man who saved him is found to be none other than Edwin booth, brother of Abraham Lincolns assassinated John Booth. Unbelievably unlikely to happen.
I then found that I won 5 chocolates for our office Christmas advent calendar in a row over the Christmas period. There are 7 people able to win, the names I drawn randomly and I won 5 days in a row. Pretty large odds for that to happen. Not as interesting as the one above, but still a day for statistical uncertainties!

No comments:

Post a Comment